On Racism, Riots, and Redemption

   Overturned carts, empty cop cars, smoldering buildings coated in soot, and men and women in camouflage armed to the hilt as they march through throngs of people.  These are the images I have seen coming out of Minneapolis - a place as much a part of me as the rest of my beautiful state - these last couple weeks.  To look at these photos, you would not guess this to be a city in the midwest United States, but some far-off land, perhaps in the Middle East, which we have been taught to believe is rife with violence and war.  But this time, the war is not on the other side of the world... It is here, in my own backyard. And I have said very little... But no longer.

   Over this last week, I have been doing an immense amount of processing: What does the Bible have to say about justice?  Will I follow the Lord's example in seeking justice?  How do I do so?  This last weekend, I spent a lot of time processing my own privilege, as a white person, and how I am complicit in a system that places higher importance on those whose skin is lighter than others.  When there is threat of danger (perhaps in the version of rioting), I have the privilege to choose to walk away and avoid the situation that scares me.  When injustice occurs, I have the privilege to choose to say nothing.  These things are not so for all people.  For many people of color, and especially African-Americans, they cannot simply walk away, avoid the danger, or say nothing.  In many instances, to say nothing leads to death.

   So, as a white woman in a system in which my "whiteness" gives me so many advantages, I want to say to my African-American friends and brothers and sisters: I am sorry for my ignorance.  I am sorry for my lack of action.  And I am sorry for all of the ways I have taken advantage of my white privilege, thus contributing to inequality and injustice.  As I have been processing over this last week the ways that I can step in and speak up, the words of a Cru staff member from Minneapolis that I heard years ago have come to the forefront of my mind: Sometimes, as a white person, you just need to relinquish your own power and privilege to allow the voices of people of color to be heard.  So, with that being said, please check out all these resources below to learn more...







Comments

Popular Posts